Has abdominal pain on right side radiating to shoulder pain, appendix removed. US for liver and kidney normal

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014

Radiologist
Question
Hi my daughter has pain in her right side into the abdominal area appendix have already been removed kidney and liver and bladder ultrasound came back clear the pain also radiates into both shoulder blades and across her chest which is painful to breath they have ruled out heart attack also. could this be nerve pain and if so what would cause it?
Posted Thu, 10 Oct 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Other causes need to be assessed

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail and understand that your daughter has been having pain in right side of abdomen which also radiates into both shoulder blades region. She has got her appendix removed earlier and ultrasound scan report is otherwise normal.

As a cardiac cause has been ruled out, I would like to assess other causes like

1. There is a possibility of having stomach ulcers (gastric ulcers) and duodenum. These can be related to dietary habits, fasting and alcohol intake. When suspected clinically, an oral upper gastrointestinal endoscopy often confirms diagnosis.

2. Another possibility is a cause in the pancreas. This may require blood tests for diagnosis of pancreatitis.

3. She may also have symptoms of gastrointestinal infection. This will more often also have other symptoms like fever and/ or diarrhea, vomiting.

4. Since your daughter has had an appendix surgery, post operative adhesion may need to be concerned.

I suggest you get your daughter clinically examined by a surgeon and take necessary treatment.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: Has abdominal pain on right side radiating to shoulder pain, appendix removed. US for liver and kidney normal 49 minutes later
if she had a blood test would it automatically show that she had pancreatitis or would they have to request a specific test for that?

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tests for pancreatitis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back to us with an update.

Two blood tests that measure enzymes are used to diagnose an attack of pancreatitis. These tests are:
Serum amylase. An increase of amylase in the blood usually indicates pancreatitis.
Serum lipase. Sudden (acute) pancreatitis almost always raises the level of lipase in the blood.

Other blood tests may be done, such as:
A complete blood count (CBC). The number of white blood cells rises during an attack of pancreatitis, sometimes dramatically.
Liver function tests. Increases in liver enzymes, particularly of alanine aminotransferase and alkaline phosphatase, can be a sign of sudden pancreatitis caused by gallstones (not present in your daughter I guess)
Bilirubin. The level of bilirubin in the blood may increase if the common bile duct is blocked.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr.Vivek