Has a nerve problem, get severe pain near legs and unable to stand. Suggest?

My dad has a nerve problem. Once in a while he will get severe pain near legs and unable to stand and walk.
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
need more details

Detailed Answer:

Please let me know your dad's age.

Also, I would like to know if your dad has a history of Diabetes or Hypertension.

The nerve problem could be due to vitamin B12 deficiency as well.

Your dad would benefit by taking the medicine Neurobion forte daily one tablet. This will help rejuvenate the nerves in his legs.

Is he unable to stand and walk all the time or is it only occasionally?

Please write in detail about your dad's concern for me to help you better.

Follow-up: Has a nerve problem, get severe pain near legs and unable to stand. Suggest? 59 minutes later
Hi Doctor,

My Dad age is 57 Years and he is not suffering from any Diabetics and BP.

He is unable to stand and walk occasionally only during this problem time.

0000 0000
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Osteoarthritis with nerve involvement

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing the details.

In the absence of Diabetes and high blood pressure, we should think of bone problem as the primary cause. It may be calcium or vitamin D deficiency which causes senile Osteoarthritis (OA) as in your dad.

At his age of 57 years, OA is the most common cause. I would suggest you to consult your father with an Orthopedician, and get his serum calcium and other tests done. He would also require an x-ray of the knee and hip joints.

You can continue to give him Neurobion forte as I suggested earlier. This will take care of the nerves.

Wish your father good health.

Follow-up: Has a nerve problem, get severe pain near legs and unable to stand. Suggest? 4 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Today MRI Scan (LS Spine) got done. Reports attached for your reference please review and provide your advice.

0000 0000
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
spinal decompressive surgery may be required

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through the uploaded MRI report of your father in depth.

He has a problem in the lower back that is causing him pain and inability to walk. There is a compression in the spinal cord in the lumbar i.e. lower back region.

This has to be evaluated by a back surgeon. If need be, he may have to undergo a decompressive spinal cord surgery of his back.

In my view, you should consult your father with a skilled back surgeon. Do it at the earliest to prevent complications.

I wish your father a quick recovery.