Has Trigeminal Neuralgia and Carbamazepine causes dizziness. Suggest?

Neurologist, Surgical
My husband has Trigeminal Neuralgia & Carbamazepine makes him dizzy - he also has to take
more of it than Dr. said & still gets hits. Can you suggest another med? Or if you're in or near
WPB, he could come see you.
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dizziness is common with carbamazepine

Detailed Answer:
Respected ma’am
I have gone through your husband’s medical history in detail.
Dizziness after taking carbamazepine is a normal phenomenon.
I would suggest
1. Continue taking carbamazepine may be at slightly lower dose & increase the frequency of dose.

2. Lots of other alternative medications like GABAPENTIN/ CHLORDIAZEPOXIDE / AMITRYPTYLLINE/ OXCARBAMAZEPINE / ESLICARBAMAZEPINE are available. Your husband can try these as well.

3. Antidepressants & anxiolytic medications also help.

4. Local injections are also given for some cases who do not respond to medications.

My best wishes for a speedy recovery of your husband.

deptt of neurosurgery
Follow-up: Has Trigeminal Neuralgia and Carbamazepine causes dizziness. Suggest? 19 hours later
Husband was told recently that he could get an epidural in face. Is this not only for back?
Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
trigeminal nerve injection given locally

Detailed Answer:
Respected madam,

In my view, the epidural injection you are talking about is a trigeminal nerve injection given locally, in which absolute alcohol is used for temporary relief, which lasts about 3-6 months.

dr praeen k XXXXXXX