Has RBBB with prolonged QRS wave. Chances of having cardiac death or fatal arrhythmia?

My daughter has a RBBB with prolonged QRS wave. She had vsd repair in 1995. My concern is what are her changes of having cardiac death or a fatal arrhythmia. I have read some crazy things. I need to stay away from google. Her cardiologist says it is Unchanged.
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 29 minutes later
Hi !

Thank you for your query.

RBBB is a generally an innocent condition as compared to LBBB. Some special conditions like Brugada syndrome that is associated with RBBB have a risk for sudden death and not every individual with RBBB has an increased risk. Besides that RBBB can result due to many causes specially congenital heart diseases like ASD ,pulmonary conditions etc. but this condition can be seen in normal individuals also ( up to 1%).

It is very necessary to establish the etiology of RBBB , until and unless cause is determined it will be very difficult to comment on the chances for arrythmias or sudden death because it varies with different etiologies and conditions.

I advise you to consult a cardiologist , get an ECG plus holter montoring , a 2D ECHO etc relevant investigations done to assess the cause and accordingly the treatment needs to be done.

If your treating doctor says that the chances of sudden death is unchanged than he may be right because your daughter may be among the normal people having RBBB.

Hope you are satisfied with the answer.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: Has RBBB with prolonged QRS wave. Chances of having cardiac death or fatal arrhythmia? 1 hour later
As I mentioned in my initial question she had surgical VSD repair and has a prolonged QRS wave of 139. He said her EKG was unchanged not her tisk for cardiac death. My question to you is what are your thoughts based upon the information. Is this something that happens in your experience for example more than 60 percent or 10 percent etc
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 20 hours later

Thank you for you query.

Dear sir,

Regarding your problem i told it is very difficult to predict .But still we can discuss
the possibilties.

Well after the surgical repair there is a risk of endocarditis for the first 6 months. There is very less possibilty of getting arrythmias after repaired VSD but still some may develop cardiac arrhythmias later in life which are generally caused by scar tissue .

I can just advise you to stay in touch with your treating doctor and dont worry this much . Kindly get the tests which have been advised to you earlier.

Dr. Shruti