Has High Cholesterol and Diabetes. Taking medicine. What can be done to get it in control?

Hi-- My father has High Cholestrol and Diabetes - He has been taking medication since more then 6 months now there hasnt been any change-- kindly suggest wat can be done other then medicines to get it in control
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 hours later

You have asked the right question of what needs to be done for the high cholesterol and Diabetes in your father, other than medicines.

Here is my answer:

- In view of Diabetes and High cholesterol, your father should do brisk walking daily for 45 mins.

- Along with this, he needs a healthy diet. He must avoid high calorie and high carbohydrate XXXXXXX food. He must consume more of fibers in the form of fruits and vegetables.

- He could take anti-oxidant supplements like Omega 3 fatty acids, niacin in the form of multivitamin capsules.

- He needs to take his medications regularly.

- His cholesterol and sugar levels need to be monitored or checked every 6 months.

- He would also require annual eye and heart check up.

I hope this is useful. Write back if you have more queries.