Has Graves' disease. Does it have an effect on the brain?

Hi my granddaughter who is 17 has Graves' disease. Does it have an effect on the brain? She's now in the hospital as she has tried to harm herself many times and is now in the psy dept. Thanks for your help as I'm not familiar and I want to be.
Posted Thu, 4 Jul 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

I can understand your concern for your granddaughter.

The thyroid hormone is said to influence the functioning of the brain and can interact with mood regulation. Your granddaughter is having hyperthyroidism and paranoid schizophrenia. In paranoid schizophrenia, there are often suicidal thoughts and behavior. This may be worsened due to thyrotoxicosis which is a disease caused by excessive concentrations of free thyroid hormones. Your granddaughter needs to get her thyroid hormones reevaluated.

She also needs treatment for paranoid schizophrenia. She need proper hospitalization and starting antipsyhcotics and antidepressants. She also need a re evaluation from an endocrinologist for the thyroid status so that dose adjustment, new medications or thyroid surgery be decided.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.