Has Disc Extrusion and recommended surgery. Suggestion?

Spine Surgeon
Question
My son is 21 years old. Doctor are recommending surgery because he has Disc Extrusion at L4-5 and HNP at L-5.S1. Is this surgery safe? I need another second opinion from a Neurosurgeon . Please if your not a neuro surgeon to answer this question. Thanks
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
surgery safe if done by trained person

Detailed Answer:
Discectomy surgery is safe and basic spine surgery however risks associated with it need to know. First is neural injury although rare < .1%. Another risk is infection. Preferably do it in good institute. Dural tear means tear in nerve covering with leakage of the water from dural sac.
Another thing is how bad is the disc herniation? Have you tried nerve root block for pain relief. we always try not to operate on young person.
If possible upload the mri images. Thanks.

Follow-up: Has Disc Extrusion and recommended surgery. Suggestion? 5 minutes later
I need to get the Mri and will forward it as soon as I can, Probably tomorrow. We have tried blocks with lidocaine and dextrosa. But he still doesn't feel very well.

Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Looks like L5-S1 HNP is the problem.

Detailed Answer:
I understand if blocks didnt work then it will need surgical intervention. Which side leg pain? you can consider posterior microendoscopic discectomy at L5-S1 level. Will discuss more once i see the images. Thanks.

Follow-up: Has Disc Extrusion and recommended surgery. Suggestion? 19 hours later
I have a DVD , but cannot upload the files. Do you have an email where I can them to you. I cannot open these images on my computer, because Phillips says that the doctors have the programs installed in their computers that are able to read these images

Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please call XXXXXXX they will help.

Detailed Answer:
Call XXXXXXX They will help you to upload it. Thanks.

Follow-up: Has Disc Extrusion and recommended surgery. Suggestion? 2 hours later
Reports sent.

Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
will need discectomy.

Detailed Answer:
Looked at the mri. He will need discectomy. Try to go for minimally invasive approach. Micro or microendo would be ideal. Thanks.