Has COPD, pulmonary oedema, low temperature and myeloproliferative disoredr. What is medical significance of 0.5 level of melocytes?

What is the medical significance of a 0.5 level of myelocytes? Is it consistent with sepsis or a myeloproliferative disorder,or does it lack significance in isolation? Pt. also has COPD, pulmonary oedema, and low temperature. C reactive protein 147.3 mg/L, pO2 46 mmHg, pCO2 42, O2 sats 86%, pH 7.50, Actual Bicarbonate 32 mmol/L, and Lactate 4.1
Posted Thu, 10 Oct 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Either one may be the cause

Detailed Answer:

Myelocytes are not normally seen on blood smear. In isolation, it is difficult to comment on the exact cause. You have mentioned that he is suffering from overlap myelodysplastic and proliferative disorder. This may be because of it. Or this could be well because of infection. A high CRP suggests more of infection.
I would certainly have administered broad-spectrum antibiotics given his clinical picture. Probably he is getting it anyway.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.

Follow-up: Has COPD, pulmonary oedema, low temperature and myeloproliferative disoredr. What is medical significance of 0.5 level of melocytes? 15 minutes later
On the basis of the information that I've provided, what do you think are the patient's chances of surviving? Pt. is also malnourished due to loss of appetite. He's had a low temperature for several days. There is no need to be diplomatic. We know that he is very unwell.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Survival chances are poor

Detailed Answer:
From these information I can only say that the survival chances are poor. I am not being diplomatic but it is never possible to predict the time one would live, especially without seeing the patient.