Has Alzheimer. On Exelon and Namenda. Started with Axona supplement. Can Axona have caused the fainting spell?

Nov 2013

My husband has alzheimers and we are in the 7th year. He has been on Exelon 9.5 patch and Namenda for the past few years. He recently started the Axona supplement. On the third day of dosage, aprox 30 minutes after drinking it, he had a fainting spell and fell and hit his head. He was transported to er and kept overnight for observation. His heart rate dropped to 30's and 40's and then would return to 50' and 60's. They determined he has afib. Could the Axona have caused the fainting spell? I am afraid to start him back on it.
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
My reply is below

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

Most likely, the fainting spell and low heart rate in your husband was not caused by Axona food supplement. However, I would like to point out that Axona has not been subjected to phase III clinical trials, which is very important to determine the safety and efficacy of any medical product. As per limited research conducted by the manufacturers, it does not cause any significant side effects. Since, its efficacy is doubtful, as of now, it is not recommended for use in patients with Alzheimer's disease by Alzheimer's Association.

So, my personal advice would be to continue exelon patch and Namenda, and avoid Axona supplement.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: