Has ADHD and has been on Ritalin. Should stop taking it?

General Surgeon
MY husband has ADD and has been on Ritalin for 20 years ,his sister think he just go off of it and I don't what should he do?
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 1 hour later
HI ! I am Dr Shareef answering your query.

Has your husband been reviewed by his treating Psychiatrist recently and what was his opinion ?

Long term use of Ritalin might have caused dependency on this drug for your husband, and sudden withdrawal may precipitate more problems. Therefore, I would advise you to consult your treating Psychiatrist who may judge his recovery and without the doctor's advice and supervision, the drug should not be stopped all at once.

I hope I have replied to your query. If you have got any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Wishing you good luck.