Harm large spongy lump on shoulder muscle. How to remove this?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have a fairly large spongy lump on my outer left shoulder muscle that has suddenly appeared out of nowhere. It is not painful.

Correction to my email address it is: YYYY@YYYY
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Welcome and Thanks for posting your query.

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of the lump.

A small painless soft lump near the shoulder blade can possibly be due to-

1. A lipoma- a benign collection of fat cells.

2. A lymph node swelling - usually seen in the presence of any infection in the area or viral illness.

3. A benign tumor usually involving soft tissue structures or underlying muscle tissue.

4. Boil or Abscess: It generally starts as a reddened, tender area. Over time, the area becomes firm and hard. Eventually, the center of the abscess softens and becomes filled with pus.

5. Sebaceous cyst: It is filled with a soft, whitish brown material that sometimes oozes out onto the skin's surface. This material is called sebum. If this protruding is accompanied by pain as well then there is a possibility of infection.

I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. You may get MRI scan for any soft tissue growth and FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) of lump under his/her guidance.

Meanwhile, apply warm compresses on the lump because if it is a swollen lymph node or boil then application of warm compresses will help.

I hope this is helpful to you.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.