Hardened skin on palms, tried moisturizers. Is there anything to worry about?

I have hardened skin on both hands. Its basically on the palms with a small hardened areas also below the smallest finger. Even if i prick a pin, i dont feel pain in that hardened area. is there anything to worry abt..? I have tried moisturizers.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 25 minutes later

Thank you for the Query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Since how long do you have this Problem ?
2.) What Job do you do, is it more of a Desk Job ?
3.) Do you have similar complaints anywhere else on your Body ?

Your history is suggestive of have Localized Scleroderma. A proper focal examination by a dermatologist will be useful in confirming the diagnosis. You may need some blood test, Skin assessment and Tissue Biopsy which can be done in consultation with a dermatologist.

Most of the cases of Localized scleroderma resolve on their own without any treatment. If at all necessary, the treatment involves immune suppressing drugs; avoiding repeated irritation of the affected skin; some blood vessel dilating drugs and so on.

Apart from this, I suggest you the below lifestyle modifications.

1.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
2.) Exercise regularly, as this will improve your blood circulation.
3.) Drink plenty of water.
4.) Protect yourself from cold.
5.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your Query, I will be available to answer your follow up Queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.