Ask a Urologist   »  

Hard vein on penis shaft, not visible but can feel it, enlarged on erection. Causes for hard vein?

I found a hard - maybe - vein on the right side of the shaft of my penis. It is under skin. It is not visible but I can feel it.
When not erect I can feel it like a thin hard vein extending from the base of by penis and not longer than an inch up to the head of penis.
When erect it becomes enlarged and moves -due to erection- about 1 inch up to the head of penis. It seems immovable like it is bound to the hard part of the shaft.
The thickness of the vein is not the same all the way up but it seems to have pearly feel to the top.
I found it accidentantly since I feel no pain.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Radhika 55 minutes later

You have provided me with good information.

You have vein like thickening on the surface of your penis which becomes enlarged when it is erect. It is also immovable.

There might be probability of benign condition known as Lymphangiosclerosis. This is a hardened lymph vessel rather than a vein, although it is similar in shape. It feels hard to the touch even when the penis is flaccid and will be more prominent during an erection. It tends to happen in men who have vigorous sexual intercourse.

Sometimes in thrombosis, another probability the main symptom will be cord-like thickening of the superficial veins, which are painless or slightly painful. In such cases Doppler examination will be needed.

It will almost certainly resolve spontaneously by itself over the next few days or weeks. In the meantime you could use lubrication during intercourse.

If there are any other changes that you have noticed you will need to consult your General Physician.

Meanwhile you can wait and watch if it subsides, if it still persists you can XXXXXXX a Urologist for examination to confirm the cause.

Hope, I have answered your query. Please accept the answer if you have no follow up queries.