Hard vein in right armpit, tenderness in centre of armpit. What could be it?

Cardiologist
Question
Hard vein in right armpit, tenderness in center of armpit
Email address YYYY@YYYY sorry
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 2 hours later
Dear Sir,

A hard & tender vein in arm pit is an unusual condition because veins get hard only when they get blocked by clotted blood (thrombus). Pain indicates inflammation in their wall. Thrombosis of arm veins may be a serious problem. This can be secondary to some important systemic disorder and needs urgent evaluation.

Another possibility is that you are feeling a hard lymph node in armpit. That is a more common problem but again, requires urgent attention , if it is hard.

Last, an infection of glands in armpit may result in a tender swelling; but in most case scenarios it will not be hard.

I would request you to see your doctor at earliest to rule out a serious condition.

Will be glad to clarify if you have any doubts.

Sincerely
Sukhvinder XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Hard vein in right armpit, tenderness in centre of armpit. What could be it? 2 days later
What kind of procedure would remedy my condition?

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 1 hour later
Dear Sir
Remedy would depend upon the correct detection of cause of swelling. First we have to know what this swelling is? Second we have to find out the cause ? Both these questions can be answered only after examining you. Only then a treatment/ management plan can be chalked out.
I would again request you to see your physician at priority, as this may be a serious issue.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Hard vein in right armpit, tenderness in centre of armpit. What could be it? 3 hours later
Is there anything I can do in the meantime, until I see a doctor?

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 8 hours later
Dear Sir,

You may try warm compresses. However this would only take care of the pain and tenderness.

I would be extremely pleased if we rule out venous thrombus which is a concerning problem. Hence I request you to seek an early appointment.

Best regards
Sincerely
Sukhvinder