Hard tender bruised knots on knee. History of 3rd stage SLE Lupus. Advice?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have 7 hard knots from knee down 4 on one leg 3 on the other they bruised looking very tender and they have heat in them they range from like a marble to golf ball size and I need to let you know I am 3rd stage s.l.e. Lupus
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
The hard tender knots on your knee are most likely to be associated with an inflamed knee joint capsule. These need a proper examination and investigations like MRI of knee joints for proper diagnosis.
Meanwhile for temporary relief you can start with tablet Ibuprofen 400mg, one tablet after breakfast and dinner till you consult your orthopedician. Hot fomentation and local analgesic gels will also help in relieving the pain.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Follow-up: Hard tender bruised knots on knee. History of 3rd stage SLE Lupus. Advice? 44 hours later
There is only one at my knee the others are in the middle to lower part of my leg
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for writing again.

The hard tender swellings on the lower part of the leg could be fibrous tissue swellings or soft tissue swellings like infected sebaceous cysts.

I'm limited here with the inability to examine you, hence I'll not be able to give you more information regarding the possibilities.

You need a thorough evaluation by an Orthopaedician as there are various causes for these symptoms and they can be ruled out only after a Physical Examination.

Once the cause is confirmed, you will be treated accordingly.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.