Hard, swollen and warm to the touch area above buttocks. What could it be?

Hi i was just undressing and discovered that immediately above my buttocks above the crack there is an area that isabout 4" in diameter is hard swollen and warm to the touch. what could it be?
Posted Sat, 29 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
From your description it seesm to be an abcess which is showing the signs of inflammation. Skin abscesses are normally caused due to inflammatory reaction to an infection like bacteria or parasite. It can also occur due to foreign substance within the body (a needle or a splinter, for example). Abscesses may develop because of obstructed sebaceous or sweat glands, inflammation of hair follicles.
I would suggest you to consult a physician for proper aseptic drainage of the collection and prescribe you appropriate antibiotics.
Meanwhiule you can do a hot fomenmtation in the area to reduce the pain to some extent.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.