Hard swelling in vaginal area. Movable, beneath skin. Any idea?

Mar 2013
Hi. I have a small mobile hard cyst or lymph node swelling under the skin between my labia major and minor. Again it is INSIDE the body, not on the outside. I noticed it after taking a bath. I am 46 years old and have not been sexually active in 2 years. I have read about barthallium cyst. But this lump is contained and located under the skin. It is a small pea under the skin that I can move around freely. It can not be seen on the external genitala. Any idea what it could be?
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 43 minutes later
Thank you for your query.

The condition you describe could be one of many things.
Firstly, it could be a simple boil or pimple, which is very common in the area described.
Secondly, not all bartholin cysts are big or over the skin.
A small initial bartholin cyst might present as a small pea under the skin that can freely move around.
It is only when the cyst enlarges or gets infected that it becomes bigger, painful and tender.

Also, a lymph node is common in the groin, and that could be what you are feeling.
Other cysts like inclusion cysts etc are also common in the area.
Mostly cysts are not painful and are detected incidentally on palpation.

I would advise you to see a gynecologist and confirm the diagnosis, to reassure yourself and to make sure no further treatment is required.

take care, and feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: Hard swelling in vaginal area. Movable, beneath skin. Any idea? 19 minutes later
The mobile lump really between the urethra and minor labia. I can move it freely toward the urethra. I assume that would eliminate a swollen groin lymph node? However If it is a swollen lymph node what could cause this? Is this common or do you think this is more serious I am a nurse pursuing my msn. So I'm a bit of a hypochondriac.

Again can't be seen externally. It's a sac contained under the skin between what appears between the urethra and minor labia.

Thanks so much.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 15 minutes later
Lymph nodes are also present around the clitoris and the labia.
So theoretically it could be one.
Any minor infection could cause a palpable lymph node, and I dont think its anything to worry about, as the swelling is not tender or infected.
Again, I would not rule out the possibility of a small cyst .
If you are a bit of a hypochondriac, see a doctor :)
Isnt that the best way out, since you can easily understand that without examining you or having a look, its difficult to opine specificially.
It could be a small boil or infected hair follicle also.