Hard stools during bowel movements. Colonoscopy done, normal results. Causes for hard stools?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I am a 72 year old male. My last colonoscopy was last May. There were no problems. The doctor said my next procedure should be in 3 years, I think. The last couple of weeks I've noticed that my bowel movements come out solid, but a little thicker than usual and are more fudge-like than usual. I had a bowel movement about an hour ago and experienced some lower back pressure with the movement which was solid but as I said somewhat fudgy.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 9 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

You have to be careful about your bowel habits. Normal colonoscopy is a good sign. Kindly observe the following symptoms.

1. Do you have alternating constipation with diarrhoea?
2. Change in color of stools? Black suggests bleeding.
3. Do experience easy fatiguability?
4. Are the stools foul smelling and offensive as compared to before?
5. Get stool examination for occult blood, CEA (Carcino Embryonic Antigen) level and complete blood count done.

Hope I have answered your query.