Hard spot on bridge of nose, not painful, white, shrinking, birthmark below spot, had surgery to remove nevus

Hi, I've had a small hard spot on the bridge of my nose for the past 4 months or so. It's not overly red or inflammed, but seems to be white in colour under the surface. It's not painful to touch. It's perfectly round, with no discolouration, and has not got any bigger (although sometimes it does seem to shrink/dry up slightly). I have a birthmark on my nose, just below the spot, which I had day surgery on in 2005 to remove a small nevus. The spot I have at the moment does not look anything like the nevus I had, therefore I don't think the two are related. What do you think? Many thanks.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 14 hours later

Thank you for posting the query,

A small round hard spot at the bridge of nose ,seems to be either a sebaceous cyst or a sebaceous hypertrophy.

Both these conditions are benign and can be removed easily.

I don't think it is related to the nevus which you got it removed in 2005.

I would also like to know few things which would help me suggest you further:
1) Do you presently or in past have suffered from acne(pimples).
2) Do you wear specks.
3)Any history of trauma over the nasal bridge.

Kindly reply me with the answers as this would help me in suggesting you better.

Anticipating your reply.

Dr.Bharat chawda
Follow-up: Hard spot on bridge of nose, not painful, white, shrinking, birthmark below spot, had surgery to remove nevus 9 hours later
Thanks for your reply.

I've never suffered from acne and I don't wear glasses. Additionally, I've never suffered any trauma to the bridge of my nose.

Your thoughts that it may be a sebaceous cyst/hypertrophy made me feel more relaxed about the spot. It looks very much like a common spot, that hasn't developed the 'white head'.
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 15 hours later

Thank you for the reply,

The possibility of sebaceous cyst seems more likely.

It can be easily removed by a small procedure if it bothering you.
The procedure would require a small XXXXXXX over the lesions ,following which the material(sebum) can be expelled out .The doctor should see that the cyst wall is completely removed in last.

You need to consult a dermatosurgeon who can help you with this.

Hope I've answered your query and that you recover soon.

Dr.Bharat chawda