Hard skin tags under toenails, painful if scraped. Returns after scraping off.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I'm 70 (eek) and am finding what I call "skin tags" under my toenails, especially big toe. It's hard until I soak it, then I can scrape some of it off, but not all and it starts to hurt when I mess with it. It doesn't look like a fungus, just extra skin that interferes when I trim my nails. I have soaked my foot an then scraped some of it off, but it comes back. What in the world happens to us when we start to age.... silly things!
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
You are dealing with excessive exfoliation due to aging. The extra dead skin under the toenails is best removed every fortnightly.
Be careful not to infect the area by using any sharp pointed object or injuring yourself. Try to keep your toes moist by using a good moisturizer at least twice daily. Have plenty of fluids to keep yourself well hydrated.
Doing a massage of your toes with castor oil will help in improving the blood circulation to the area and will reduce your problem.
Going for a pedicure every fortnight will also help in improving the skin texture and circulation of your feet.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.