Hard painless bumps on head. CT scan clear. Could it be dangerous?

I have what feels like a large bump on my head, to me it feels like its connected to my skull and is hard like bone. It's about an inch wide, and rounded. It's been there for about 10 years. My GP has checked it out several times and has always said he is not concerned about it, the last time telling me that it is a type of cyst and likened it to a fingernail type of substance. I am still concerned that he could be wrong because the bump is not mobile and my scalp passes over it as if it were bone. I have had a CT scan of my head in the past 6 years for a different issue, but nothing was said of this bump at that time. It is colorless, painless, and causes no problems. Is it possible thy my doctor is correct, or can this be something severely dangerous?
Posted Sat, 26 Jan 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 14 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

As the swelling has been there for about 10 years and has not increased in size you need not worry about it. Even the CT scan has not reported anything then it means that there is nothing wrong.

Be rest assured that the doctors will not misguide you.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarification or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you all the best.

Follow-up: Hard painless bumps on head. CT scan clear. Could it be dangerous? 3 minutes later
Is it possible that a cyst can feel like a part of bone on the skull or is it more likely to be just a bone growth? The scan that was done was because of a severe headache in the ER so even if they weren't looking for something else, would the bump have been noticed if it were serious? I appreciate your time.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 10 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

It is very difficult for me to express an opinion whether it is a cyst or a bone growth without examining. Cysts can be bony too if they are originating from the bone.

When a CT scan is reported the radiologist reports on the bone too if there is anything worthwhile to report. It shall be better to review the old report and discuss with your doctor.

I hope I have clarified your doubts to your satisfaction.

Wishing you all the best.