Hard mass on the posterior wall of the pharynx. Have dry eyes and dry mouth. Should I be concerned?

Excellent

Cardiologist
Question
Hi there. I have a hard bony like mass (it's more vertical) on my posterior wall of the pharynx. It potrudes slightly and I can touch it. It may go right up to my nasal area but it's too uncomfortable to inverstigate that area. I am 27 and I am a social smoker and drink. I have also been livining in South East Asia for the last 10 months and use air con all the time. In the mornings I have dry eyes and mouth. This past year has been very stressfull. Other than that I have no other symptoms. I like going to the gym and eating a healthy diet. Please can you give me some advice about this throat thing. I don't have a doctor over here and due to return to the UK in a month.
Posted Wed, 20 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 56 minutes later

Thank you for writing in your concerns.

The fact that there is no difficulty in swallowing food, no problem breathing air, no local pain or bleeding suggest that there is nothing wrong with you. Add to these, a complete absence of systemic features like fever, malaise or any general feeling of being ill.

I understand self investigation of pharyngeal area is always difficult because of gag reflex, however based on what you describe, I do not feel you have something in your throat that is concerning.

Your ten months sojourn away from temperate climate to tropical climate and continuous use of air conditioner is bound to produce some dehydrated state. You have also pointed out feeling of dry eyes and mouth. That is drawing your attention to something which in my view is normal.

Therefore, if you have not lost weight or you do not get features like pain, fever, local bleeding or any discharge (even that does not come out but you feel it going down pharynx), your consultation with Ear Nose Throat Specialist can wait your return back to the United Kingdom which as you write a month away. At least that will take the worry off you.

I suggested the ENT consultation at the earliest if you have any of the symptoms as detailed above.

Hope this answer is both reassuring and informative. Should you have any more queries, I will be happy to address them.

Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover
Cardiologist

Follow-up: Hard mass on the posterior wall of the pharynx. Have dry eyes and dry mouth. Should I be concerned? 1 hour later
Thank you so much for your prompt response. I will visit the doctor when I return.

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later

Thank you for writing back. You are welcome.

Absolutely. But the rider remains, if you have any of the above mentioned in my original reply, you will find a doctor where you are at present!

Please do not forget to close this discussion and review it. If you wish me to answer in future, you may post your queries on this link
WWW.WWWW.WW
Good Luck

Dr Anil Grover