Hard mass on stomach, bloating, back pain. Have fibrosis and heavy periods

General Surgeon
I have hard mass on the left hand side of my stomach, when I press on it it feels like heartbeat. And I have been having bloated stomach with very little I eat. My wait to my back pains from time to time. I was told I had fibroids years ago but that they are tiny, two are inside my womb, whilst the rest are under the womb, but never had such hard mass before. I have heavy periods, painful and last for about 10days, I am 49 years old and weigh 75kg. Many thanks.
Posted Tue, 18 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Hard, pulsating mass in abdomen associated with back pains most likely may be a sign of aortic aneurysm. This is a very urgent, and you should visit your doctor as soon as possible. Aortic aneurysm (depending of it`s size) can rupture and this is a very life-treating situation. You should have abdomen ultrasound and if aneurysm will be confirmed abdomen CT. Depending of it`s size and location it might need open abdomen surgery or can be treated with endovascular stent.

If you rule out aortic aneurysm, there might be other explanation of your symptoms. As you have mentioned about uterine fibroids, it might happen that one will become so big, that you can feel it throughout your skin. I suggest you to visit gynecologist and have trans-vaginal ultrasound performed.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Hard mass on stomach, bloating, back pain. Have fibrosis and heavy periods 11 hours later
Thanks doctor but the pulsing does not really happen all the times, what does is the the bloated stomach when ever I eat no matter how small. I am waiting for my referral date from the hospital but do you suggest I go to A&E?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 hours later

Thank you for the query!

I suggest you visit A&E. Bloated stomach may be caused by some mass inside your abdomen that causes bowel obstruction so the intestines contents can not flow freely. This mass can be mentioned before hematoma or some other tumor as well. This should be ruled out as soon as possible. It is very hard to tell how urgent it is not seeing you, however if you suffer also from nausea, constipations or no stool and gases at all, this is very urgent.

Hope this will help.