Hard lymph node in neck. CT scan showed enlarged nodes and WBC slightly elevated. What to do?

On 10/19 I found hard lymph node deep in left side of my neck. Ct scan showed other enlarged nodes and wbc slightly elevated. On antibiotics but node hard still
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 8 minutes later
Deep cervical group of nodes may have various underlying causes. much depends on your associated constitutional symptoms and signs. A complete history about your physical status is required.breifest possible opinion can be given after lymph node FNAC or biopsy. Most common cause is inflamation due to infection somewhere. complete blood count is amust for evaluation.
Follow-up: Hard lymph node in neck. CT scan showed enlarged nodes and WBC slightly elevated. What to do? 1 hour later
I have really had no other symptoms- some slight fatigue here and there and maybe a little achiness occasionally, but i generally dont feel sick. I feel like the node has been there for a while though i was just unable to find it because it is very deep in my neck. My cbc showed the wbc were slightly elevated and the ct scan showed some other slightly enlarged nodes. Would either of these tests give clues if i had cancer? I am just terrified thats what it is. My dr suspects infection and i have a follow up with her in two weeks.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wait til antibiotic therapy ends;then do biopsy

Detailed Answer:

If I were your caring doctor, would advise to continue the antibiotic treatment. Infection is the first diagnosis which is supported by the slightly elevated wbc.

Usually, such lymph-nodes are swollen when there is infection in the throat and ear. Besides oral antibiotic, I usually recommend my patients good oral hygiene and oral spray or candies and to check the ears (for which ear drops I usually recommend).

At the end of the antibiotic therapy, and you do not see any improvement, I'd suggest to do the biopsy of lymph-nodes.

However, do not be worried too much, wait and see the effect of antibiotics. Time will show what to do next.

Wish you health!

Follow-up: Hard lymph node in neck. CT scan showed enlarged nodes and WBC slightly elevated. What to do? 48 minutes later
I actually just took a round of z pack antibiotics amd nothing has happened. The lymph node is still hard and the same size. i do feel some drainage in my throat but its not really sore. I just dont know what the source of infection could be.Everything I google says that hard enlarged notes in the neck are related to cancer. Should ct scan show abnormalities? How long can it take swelling in nodes to go down?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please follow the suggestions below...

Detailed Answer:

Although you already had taken z-pack antibiotics and nothing has happened, this does not mean that we should exclude infections. Sometimes, antibiotics develop resistance which I doubt in your case.

If I were your caring doctor would go for another antibiotic. You are feeling drainage in your throat meaning that the antibiotic has started to have its effect and will give you relief.

I usually prescribe my patients oral and intra muscular injections of antibiotics together with supporting treatment for better results.

Commonly after 2 weeks of starting antibiotics, the swelling will be down because such infections are very difficult to treat.

At the end of the treatment, I suggest to do ct scan and biopsy to exclude the cancer you fear.

Do not become panicked. Take it easy, follow the prescription and diet and lifestyle changes rigorously and you will be fine soon. Have patience!

Wish fast recovery!