Hard lumps on back & abdomen area under skin. What could be this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, I have two lumps on he lower left side of my back and one in the lower left abdomen area. The lumps are hard and dont seem to move. They are under the skin, not painful but tender. I have had the one on my back for quite a while, probably over 5 or 6 years, it has gotten a tiny bit larger over time. The other two are more recent. I am afraid of what this could be, I do not have health insurance at the moment. I will go in as soon as I do, but do you have any ideas of what this could be?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 37 minutes later
Lumps can be caused by any number of conditions, including infections, inflammation, tumors and trauma. Depending on the cause, lumps may be single or multiple, soft or firm, painful or painless. They may grow rapidly or may not change in size. The lump that you describe could be a neurofibroma/lipoma. A physical examination by a surgeon will confirm.

Neurofibroma / lipoma is basically a lump of fibrous tissue/adipose tissue. Its not cancerous and not harmful. Surgical removal is sometimes needed when there is function impairment or when you develop symptoms.

I suggest you to see your doctor for localised examination of the lump. You may plan the necessary procedure after discussing with them.

You may need an MRI scan and a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) for confirmation of diagnosis.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.