Hard lump on wrist, persistent tendonitis in elbow. History of laceration on arm. Is the cut and tendonitis related?

I have a hard lump on pinky side of right wrist - just below where hand/wrist XXXXXXX I also have persistent tendinitis in the right elbow. I first noticed the lump while doing PT for elbow a couple of months ago. Not sure if the lump developed durIng PT or if I just didn't notice before. And about 20 years ago I suffered a XXXXXXX and wide cut across palm side of wrist where hand and wrist XXXXXXX - laceration from arm breaking through a window. Not sure if tendinitis or the cut could be related, but mention just in case. No other symptoms that I can think of.
Posted Mon, 10 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 2 hours later

Thanks for the question.

In view of symptoms it's quiet likely that you have a ganglion cyst.

Ganglion cysts are among the most common benign soft-tissue masses. Although they most often occur on the wrist, they also frequently develop on the foot – usually on the top, but elsewhere as well. Ganglion cysts vary in size, may get smaller and larger, and may even disappear completely, only to return later.

Although the exact cause of ganglion cysts is unknown, they may arise from trauma – whether a single event or repetitive micro-trauma.

If the cyst causes no pain and does not interfere with joint, the surgeon may decide it is best to carefully watch the cyst over a period of time.

A clinical evaluation can confirm the diagnosis.

Hope this answers your question.