Hard lump on top of head, coeliac. No history of accident. What could be the reason?

My 6 year old has a very large hard lump on the top of her head, it is about the width of a golf ball and about 1/2 a cm raised. She hasn't had an accident when she has been with me and she say's there have been no accidents at school. The school is usually extremely vigilant but they haven't mentioned anything.
Is this something to be concerned about? She is a coeliac and has several intolerances.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 4 hours later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

Causes of head lump are dermoid cysts, haematoma, insect bite, kerion, lipoma, sebaceous cyst, swollen lymph nodes, and trauma to the head.

I think it might be injury that took place while playing and usually children's do not notice this as they are occupied in playing.

Other possibility is sebaceous cyst. It most often arises from swollen hair follicles. Skin trauma can also induce a cyst to form.

I advise you to wait for day or two if it subsides, then injury would have be the cause. Sebaceous cysts are not XXXXXXX and can usually be ignored. In case of small cyst, placing a warm moist cloth and compressing over the area may help the cyst drain and heal. In case it becomes tender, swollen or large it need to be removed.

I advice you wait for 2 days, if it persists XXXXXXX the surgeon for examination and he will be guiding you.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.