Hard lump on throat, had sore throat. What could cause this?

ENT Specialist
Question
I have had sor throat for several days, now about four days ago a egg sized lump ha come up on my throat. It hard and throat hurts a lot.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. If you had fever, the lump is most likely to be a lymph node. There are more than 300 lymph nodes normally present in the Head and Neck region and they usually do not regress to their normal size after inflammation / infections such as viral, herpes (Kaposi's Sarcoma), TB, fungal (Pneumocystis) and so on.

2. A close up image of this swelling will be of help if you can share it here. You may also share the latest blood reports if any. Patients with HIV are more prone to certain infections and conditions. Hence this lump should be investigated.

3. A Neck Ultrasound will help diagnose the swelling. An FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) or biopsy may be required later.

4. You should be on antibiotics, pain killers, anti allergic medication and medicated gargles. Are you on any medication for HIV? What is the current status of your HIV infection? These should be under medical supervision.

5. You may share your test results here for further advise on treatment options.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Hard lump on throat, had sore throat. What could cause this? 5 hours later
I went to the emergency room last morning. They did tests and say it is a cyst. Gave me the meds you mentioned and I feel better. I have an appointment with an ENT specialist on Friday. Yes I am on HIV MEDS, last diagnosis was undetectable levels, so I do keep check on that.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. If it turns out to be a lymphoepithelial cyst, it may respond to antiretoviral therapy and steroids.

2. If medication fails, it may be surgically removed.

3. Neck cysts are not very common. Kindly update us here on your investigations and further treatment, if possible.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.