Hard lump on the back of the hand. No change in size. Had severe pain once. What type of doctor can perform the surgery?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My son age 35 has a hard lump on the back of his hand about the size of a marble. It just appeared all of sudden within 6 mo's ago. It hasn't changed in size. No pain in it, but once did have sharp pain 2 times in one hour in that general area of the lump. What type of Doctor should he go to get get the lump removed?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 minutes later
Suddenly appearing lump on the back of hand without any other symptoms is most likely a ganglion.
The ganglions have a tendency of recurrence and if only fluid is aspirated then there is every chance of repeat collection of the fluid unless some drug or sclerosing agent or steroids are injected inside the swelling after the fluid is removed.
The permanent treatment of the ganglion is surgical excision only which you can discuss with your orthopaedician after getting it examined. If it is painful then it indicates infection and antibiotics might be needed for the treatment.
You may get the initial physical examination, relevant tests and treatment done under care of 'Orthopaedician'.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.