Hard lump on knee, no pain. Had arthroscopic knee surgery on ACL. Is it serious?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hi I had Arthroscopic knee surgery about 2 years ago on my left knee Acl. It had to be reconstructed with part of my patilla. since then it feals great but im trying to enlist into the army and im going for a follow up that i never did with my doc next thursday and im worried that he wont clear me because of a rock hard lump on the outer side of my left knee it feals like a muscle but i looked a pics of a knee and its all ligimants there so i dont know what it is it doesnt hurt and there is no bruising in the area but wen i bend my knee it gets hard as a rock but i can bend my knee just as far as my good one so i was wondering if it is anything serious or is it just part of the surgery i had.
Posted Fri, 7 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later
thanks for writing in.
The swelling which you have described seems to be muscle as it becomes hard on contraction. I would like you to answer the following questions before I can advise you .
when did this swelling appear(with relation to surgery of the knee joint) ? and
how did this swelling start?
Kindly write back to me.
With regards
Follow-up: Hard lump on knee, no pain. Had arthroscopic knee surgery on ACL. Is it serious? 4 hours later
well ive noticed it ever since i had surgery on the knee. Its always been there its about the sice of a wallnut thought. I just hope its not a dislocated pattilla but i dont think it is cus there is no buising at all and its not a big bulge. and to answer your question on how the swelling started well its only noticeable when i am at work. my kneee gets a little tight and stiff thats all. but i think thats from not stretching the liggaments regularly. so i have been doing just that to see if it helps with the stiffness
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 1 hour later
Thanks for the feedback.
Since it has been from the time of surgery and the movements are without any limitations or painfree then you do not have to worry at all.You can continue with your daily routine without any fear.However if you experience any symptoms like clicking while moving the joint then further investigation is warranted.So as it stands now there is nothing to worry about.
I hope this answers your querry.
With regards