Hard lump on foot,painful and getting bigger

I have a hard lump on the top of my foot which developed suddennly and appears to be be getting bigger. It is painful and worse when I rotate my ankle inwards. Current size 2cm x 1.5cm . What is it ???
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 22 minutes later

I shall address your concern based on your current given information.

Foot lumps are caused by a number of conditions - infections, inflammation, tumors or trauma. There is no way one can speculate the lump, just by its sudden appearance, hard consistency, rate of growth, pain, size - as proper limb examination would be needed for the clinical entirety, and even investigations might add something if necessary.

So, I would suggest you to get it evaluated as soon as possible, as you cannot afford to wait till you think it may subside on its own.

I hope I have answered your concern on a broad sense, now.

If you have additional questions regarding these recommendations as you prepare to make decision regarding future care, you should not hesitate to contact my attention email YYYY@YYYY
Follow-up: Hard lump on foot,painful and getting bigger 4 hours later
GIVEN THE HARD LUMP APPEAR ONLY 3 DAYS AGO, WITH-OUT any direct trauma that I am aware of, would it be suggestive of a tumor. I have no lymph nodes palpable and no areas of infection. This lump is really hard and non-mobile.
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later

Thanks again for the mail.

I am afraid, speculating is really of no help. Yes, doubts are to be discussed but, I cannot palpate your lump though you say it hard, immobile etc.

As you say it is only 3 days that you have observed, and given the dimensions you wrote earlier (2x1.5) is quite unreasonable for any of the fastest growing tumor known in medicine to grow that much. If we think the anatomy of the dorsum of the foot, it is mainly consists of bones, tendons and ligaments. So the lump which is hard, immobile and painful should arise most often from these structures. So just to shoot the possible reasons within my knowledge:
1) Ganglion cyst
2) Tendon cyst
3) Bony Exostosis ( Infection of these can be painful)

Lot many causes like for instance calcifications, bunions etc add to the long list of the four I told you earlier. And they are not necessarily tumors all the time. But, promptness pays, especially in medicine.

So, my intention is to suggest you to have clinical check with the Surgeon or Podiatrist.

I wish you best of health.