Hard lump on clavicle, above breast. Had malignant melanoma. Family history of leukemia, lymphoma. Go for a CT?

I am a healthy 37y/o female. I have a rather large, very hard lump below my clavicle and above my right breast--it seems to be in the area of my first rib. I've been sent for a mamogram and ultrasound--both were normal. The radiologist suggested a CT but my general practitioner does not consider this necessary. However, I am concerned and would like to know what this lump is. The lump is not painful, though I have noticed some tenderness in the area around it. I have a history of malignant melanoma. Also, my family history includes one paternal uncle who survived non-Hodgkins lymphoma and another who died in childhood from lukemia. Any idea what this lump might be? Should I press my MD for a CT as suggested by the radiologist?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
The large hard lump below the calvicle can be a swollen lymph node or a soft issue swelling like lipoma. Since your mammogram and ultrasound scan were normal, it is less likely to be something serious.
Considering your family history, you must ask your MD to get a CT scan of the chest and Fine needle Aspiration Cytology (FNAC) of the lump done to know the nature of lump.
Further management will depend on the cause detected.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Hard lump on clavicle, above breast. Had malignant melanoma. Family history of leukemia, lymphoma. Go for a CT? 18 hours later
Unfortunately, this doesn't really answer my question. I already know what it isn't. I was hoping for some information on what it might be.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 52 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
I will try my best to help you now.
A large hard lump below the clavicle can possibly be due to-
1. A lipoma- a benign collection of fat cells.
2. A lymph node swelling - usually seen in the presence of any infection in the area or viral illness.
3. A benign tumor usually involving soft tissue structures or underlying muscle tissue.
4. Boil or Abscess: It generally starts as a reddened, tender area. Over time, the area becomes firm and hard. Eventually, the center of the abscess softens and becomes filled with pus.
5. Sebaceous cyst: It is filled with a soft, whitish brown material that sometimes oozes out onto the skin's surface. This material is called sebum. If this protruding is accompanied by pain as well then there is a possibility of infection.
For the confirmation of diagnosis, you need to get this lump examined from a doctor and get a MRI scan for any soft tissue growth and a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) done.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.