Hard lump inside the vagina, itching in the groin area. What is it?

Hello, I am 22 years old and still a virgin. About three days ago I noticed a bump on the inside of my labia majora (about an inch or so away from the minora) The bump is hard, but is not tender. The skin over the bump is a little tender, and I have mild itching to my groin area in general. The bump is about the size of a kidney bean. I have been applying a warm cloth to it for about 20 minutes 3 - 4 times a day, but nothing has helped.It hasn't seemed to get bigger or smaller, and there has been no drainage. I am in a foreign country and can't see my doc for another three weeks, and I'm not sure if this is something to be worried about.
Posted Wed, 11 Jul 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 7 hours later

From your description, it seems that either it is a folliculitis or bartholin gland infection.

Folliculitis occurs when due to friction etc. hair follicle is infected. Bartholin’s gland is a gland situated at the inner aspect of labia majora.

If there is no discharge from bump, you should try sitz bath for 3-5 days, for that you need to sit in lukewarm water tub for 10-15 min thrice a day.

If there is no improvement, you may need to see a Gynecologist who may give you a course of antibiotic and painkiller.

I wish you speedy recovery.

Please do write back in case of follow up queries that you may have.

Best wishes