Hard lump between bottom of ribs in a child, discomfort. What can it be?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
My son has a small hard lump between the bottom of the ribs and what I would guess would be his diaphram. It doesn't hurt and has not grown in size over the few months since he noticed it. If he presses it, he feels slight discomfort.
Posted Tue, 3 Jul 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 5 hours later
Thank you for writing in .
If the lump is in the midline between the bottom of the ribs and small in size without tendency to grow then there are 2 possibilities.
1. A lipoma ( which is not associated with any pain or discomfort related to meals) or a epigastric hernia. ( he would have discomfort related to meals and pain on pressure)
2. Neurofibroma ( where there would be slight or negligible growth unless complicated)or a dermoid cyst (This would be characterised by slow growth and putty like consistency on pressing) would be distant possibilities.
An ultrasound will reveal the contents whether solid or fluid.
If the mass is solid then a fine needle aspiartion cytology is needed to ascertain the diagnosis. I would suggest that you see a paediatrician who can then examine the mass and order an ultrasound.
I hope this answers your query.
With Regards