Hard intestine, higher in lower abdomen, hicks contraction, difficult digestion, lactose intolerant, constipation. Serious?

General Surgeon
Question
Hello. I am 5' 4", weigh 112 lbs and gave birth 18 months ago. Since childbirth I have noticed at times my intestines harden, especially in the morning. It is not painful and more noticeable in my lower abdomen. It feels similar to XXXXXXX XXXXXXX contractions, but I feel it not only in my lower abdomen, but on the sides also. The hardened lumps usually go away or move.

Since I can remember, I have had difficulty with digestion and bowel movements. I am lactose intolerant and struggle with constipation. If I am not constipated, my bowel movements are similar to diarrhea. I am mentioning this because I'm not sure if it's linked.

Is this something that I need to worry about or be seen for? Thank you!!
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 21 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Post delivery disturbance of bowel movement which you are facing is mainly due to constipation.As matter /food move through intestine by contractions & relaxations ,if consistency of food is high ,intestine faces difficulty in propelling it further .Hardness you feel is only contractions of gut .

It is colicky type ,in which pain comes & goes.You are a known case of lactose intolerance .So you should take full of fibers to avoid constipation .Your problem will see down ward trend & may disappear.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries, Wish you Good Health and speedy recovery

Follow-up: Hard intestine, higher in lower abdomen, hicks contraction, difficult digestion, lactose intolerant, constipation. Serious? 1 hour later
Thank you so much for your answer. Is there anything else you can recommend besides fiber? I have tried increasing my fiber intake, with high fiber foods and supplements, and it causes severe stomach cramping and pain.

Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 6 hours later
Hello

Regular exercise along with plenty of liquids will also help. Digestive enzymes will also help in early digestion & gut movements. If do regular walk along with aerobics your problem will be relieved. Make it a daily practice to visit the loo and try moving your bowels at same time. The gut has alarms and it will automatically get adjusted.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries, “Wish you Good Health and speedy recovery”

Disclaimer