Ask a Urologist   »  

Hard, fluid-filled bump on penis. No pain or itching. Leathery patches on penis. What is it?

I have a hard, pea sized, fluid filled bump at the base of my groin/penis that has been present since the beginning of February. It seldomly itches, and there is minimal pain when I touch it. It seems to get slightly larger after ejaculation. It has no outlet (like you would see with a pimple), but when I tried to remove the fluid last week it came out a clear red color, however, the size has not changed. This morning I noticed a few small, dark, leathery patches on my penis where it made contact with the bump. Do you know what it is or what I can do for it?
Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

I have seen the image you have attached.

Based on the appearance of the lesions and the description you provided about the same, I could think of two possibilities.

Herpes: The lesions appear as those typically seen in herpes zoster. Your description also suits the diagnosis. You may have to consult a dermatologist and confirm the fact. If the lesions are spreading then you can apply ACYCLOVIR 5% ointment over the lesions to prevent progression.

Folliculitis: Since some of the lesions involved the hair follicles, I would like to consider this a possibility but a less probable one. Treatment of these may involve a course of antibiotics.

Hope, I answered your query.

Please do let me know if there are any other concerns.

Follow-up: Hard, fluid-filled bump on penis. No pain or itching. Leathery patches on penis. What is it? 1 hour later
Hello, thank you for your response. The bump appeared after shaving the area. Does that increase the likelihood that it may be Folliculitis? Is the antibiotic you spoke of over the counter and what is recommended? I am currently away from the States and will not be back for several weeks.
If it is not folliculitis, is ACYCLOVIR over the counter, or do I need a prescription for it?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, the history provided by you may support the diagnosis of folliculitis but the lesions are very typical to those seen in Herpes zoster. Hence, I would strongly recommend a physical examination by a Dermatologist.

If it is folliculitis, antibiotic like Azythromycin or clarythromycin would be a suitable one. No, they are not available as over the counters.

Yes, Acyclovir is available over the counter.

Hope, I was of some help.

Wish you good health.