Hard bump on leg, no pain. What is it?

About a week ago, while I was shaving my legs in the shower, I noticed this small but rather hard bump on my right leg (aprox. 3ins above my ankle). It's as if someone stuck a marble under my skin or not quite as big as a marble...maybe more like a really hard pea. It doesn't cause me any pain, however if I push on it it can be a tiny bit tender, but thats about it. I'm really curious as to what exactly it is and if it is XXXXXXX to my health or maybe a sign of cancer? Is it something I should be worried about and seek medical attention for? Please put my mind at ease.....
Posted Sun, 29 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 10 hours later
Dear PAtient,
Thanks for your query,
A marble sized growth under the skin can be a bony outgrowth, a tissue growth , a callosity etc.
Its quite difficult to ascertain the nature of the lesion without palpating it.
The lesion appears red on skin surface suggesting that there might have been an inflammation at the site leading to this growth and hence a possibility of a cyst is also there.
The lesion doesnt look to be related to any sort of carcinogenic growth . An oral course of antibiotic and anti inflammatory drug should help in subsiding the lesion but not in case of bony outgrowth which are not serious but permanent.

Dr.Rohit Batra