Hard bump on glans after having sex using Viagra. Not sore, no oozing, no redness. Cyst or vein blockage?

Dermatologist
Question
hi doc,5 days ago i noticed a small hard bump (1-2 mm or so ) on my glans in the morning after a night of vigorous sex using viagra. Its not a sore, not a blister, no oozing, no pus, no significant reddness, its not hot, and it doesnt really bother me other than the fact that its there. It hasnt gotten any bigger or redder over the 5 days and it goes away completely from time to time during the day. The skin looks fine, its not broken in any way and when you feel it, it feels like it has a core or something in it. i thought it was maybe a pimple but it hasnt formed a head or changed at all. Then I thought it was a cyst but there are no hair folicles in that area? I have gently tried to massage it to see if i could get it to pop or break up but it hasnt chnaged at all. Could it be a small plaque/blockage in a vein or something? I had one of those on the side of my penis 6 or 7 years ago?
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Shanmugapriya 19 hours later

A picture of the region can be helpful in understanding the type and nature of bump. You can upload a close up picture of the bump taken under bright light using the option available on this page.

Without a clinical examination, based on your description alone, the nodule could be caused by underlying venous trauma as rightly pointed out. Since the penile skin is lax there is more chance of formation of swelling due to blockage of veins.

Please send me a picture.

From the outset, the nodule is most likely to be a harmless condition and should disappear on its own in a few days. So you need not worry.

Awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Hard bump on glans after having sex using Viagra. Not sore, no oozing, no redness. Cyst or vein blockage? 5 hours later
I took a few pics and uploaded them in a pdf file.
Thanks!

Answered by Dr. Shanmugapriya 24 minutes later
Thank you for sending me the pictures.
On careful visualisation, the lesion since asymptomatic, seems to be a Primary Chancre.But the diagnosis should be confirmed by a certified specialist with Direct microscopy and with the clinical picture and thorough history. You could better get a doctor's appointment as early as possible since the lesion generally subsides on its own without therapy but to recur later as secondary form. As for the treatment aspect the doctor would guide you after confirmation.
Hope that helps

Follow-up: Hard bump on glans after having sex using Viagra. Not sore, no oozing, no redness. Cyst or vein blockage? 26 minutes later
What is a primary chancre?

Answered by Dr. Shanmugapriya 24 hours later

I am sorry for the delay as I was running a very busy schedule.

Primary chancre is a painless ulceration on the genitals caused by syphilis. It can be easily and completely treated. Hope you reach to the doctor at the earliest and get a prescription for it.

Let me know if you have any further queries remaining. Else you can close this discussion and rate my answer.

Follow-up: Hard bump on glans after having sex using Viagra. Not sore, no oozing, no redness. Cyst or vein blockage? 25 minutes later
I dont think thats the case, I havent engaged in any activity that would expose me to somehting like that in months and it wasnt an "open sore" until I tore the top layer of skin off it trying to see if I could pop it on Sunday. I think I forgot to mention that I tore the skin picking at it sunday evening when I sent the pictures oyesterday. Its almost completely healed up now and from what I have seen about syphillis the sores dont heal in 2 or 3 days. Im going to see my Dr this afternoon regardless. You really freaked me out yesterday, but based on my sexual behavior over the last 5-6 months, there no chance that its any kind of std.
Thanks

I am writing here as your previous physician is currently unavailable.
Having said that, I notice that a mountain has been made out of a 'molehill' literally but as a practitioner for over 15 years, I quite understand where both parties are coming from. The 'online' doctor wishes to clear all bases & cover all diagnoses & the 'online patient' was only looking to be 'reassured' in the first instance. By now, hopefully you will have seen a dermatologist or venereologist & he/she has reassured you that all is well.
In my personal unbiased opinion based purely on your history & photograph, it is a local 'mechanical' or 'friction' related 'blister' or 'comedo' as in a 'senile comedo' ...At this stage, absolutely nothing needs to be done. "Aasterly inactivity" is what I would recommend & try and reduce the amount of Viagra you are using.
Still, having said all this, as you have been suitably 'alarmed', there may or may not have been an old suspect history & in this situation (should there be an iota of doubt) please do a simple VDRL/STS test that no doubt your doctor on the ground may have already recommended & put all these ghosts to rest.
I do hope I have succeeded in some small measure to calm your nerves & reassure you that all is well. Please do give us a shout to tell us all is well!
Cheers & GodSpeed!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues

Follow-up: Hard bump on glans after having sex using Viagra. Not sore, no oozing, no redness. Cyst or vein blockage? 1 hour later
The spot is now completely healed and is back to normal skin color. A total of 3 days. I saw my GP yesterday and he said its probably as you said. He didnt even think any testing was needed. I would just caution practiioners to ask more details about history before making such statements. I have no reason to believe I was at risk for any kind of std but when you are feeling anxious and start looking stuff up on the internet your imagination gets away from you. Thanks for the reply!

Answered by Dr. Shanmugapriya 2 hours later
Hey there. Great to know your GP's advice tied in with my observations. Even better that the lesions have resolved! I do empathise with your views on practitioners' & the imagination running wild while googling...Good on you to take the time to actually write back in. Cheers. Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD