Hard breathing. Have asthma. Caused due to asthma? Will it go away?

My breathing is hard and it seems to be driven by emotion at times and I c
ant get rid of it. This happened to me 2 years ago and lated like 8 months and i'm scarred to go through it again...i'm afraid to work our our even go out anymore. I have asthma but it doing really effect me much if I stay on my medication....? I don't know if it if hard breathing causing anxiety our anxiety causing hard breathing.....but why..if its anxiety...Wount it go away
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 57 minutes later
Hello and thanks for query.
Since you already are having asthma,you know how to differentiate between breathlessness caused by asthma or due to psychological factors or anxiety.
Since your asthma is controlled with medication,your breathlessness or shortness of breath is being caused by your severe anxiety.
In anxiety attacks,you feel as if your breathing is labored and forced and it seems you have to force yourself to breathe,in fear that if you don't,you will stop breathing and die.
You have already suffered such an attack 2 years ago and it took you 8 months to get rid of it.In lieu of such history it is advised that you must consult a psychiatrist and get a proper and thorough counseling and treatment from him.
Till you consult a psychiatrist,start a healthy regime of regular exercises and proper nutrition.
I hope to have answered your query.please accept the answer if you don't have any further query.
Thanks and best of luck.
Follow-up: Hard breathing. Have asthma. Caused due to asthma? Will it go away? 1 hour later
I appreciate this..... Is it normal to feel like this all day if its not treated.... I was on a controller medicine for depression and it didn't work but I was to scared to try the narcotic...I wonder if I tried it if I would it works if I would feel more,at ease knowing there is way out? ...
Follow-up: Hard breathing. Have asthma. Caused due to asthma? Will it go away? 2 hours later
Even last night... I had a couple drinks and when I went to bed it seemed like my breathing strokes were ver short and narrow then after getting worked up my body temperature seemed to drop and I started shaking really bad.... I feel like i'm holding my stomach really tight and breathing really short strokes
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
All of your symptoms point towards anxiety neurosis which is caused by irrational fear,imagined danger and inability to deal with daily stress and strains of life.
I do not think your problems would automatically end without treatment from an expert.
You must take the help of a psychiatrist who will go into the root causes of your XXXXXXX rooted anxieties and will treat them by counseling and medications.
Medicines used are Benzodiazepines and antidepressants which really work very well and should be used for at least 6 months.
Other methods that can restore normalcy are: XXXXXXX breathing exercises
Muscle tension relaxation exercises
Hypnosis employed by many psychiatrist also proves to be helpful.

Follow-up: Hard breathing. Have asthma. Caused due to asthma? Will it go away? 40 minutes later
Thank you think eating right,and getting regular exercise will help me? I'm 60 lbs overweight and don't eat that great
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 7 minutes later
Yes eating right and regular exercises will definitely help you.
The treatment should be beneficial with the help and advise from the expert.