Hanging vulva, causing discomfort and irritation. Used Monistat. What can I do?

The left side of my vulva is hanging down and has a flat circular something in the
end of it. It is very uncomfortable and hangs down which causes a lot of irritation to it.

I used monistat thinking it may be a yeast infection but that did not help. What can I
Posted Wed, 12 Sep 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 1 hour later

The flat circular collection (something) in left side of your vulva that you are suggesting may be a “bartholin cyst".

Bartholin glands are present in lower third of vagina for lubrication, but due to some infection they may get obstructed resulting in cyst. It is treated by excision or marsupialization. A detailed pelvic examination is warranted to confirm the possibility and to process the treatment.

Therefore, I encourage you to consult your gynecologist. It is not a serious concern, but treatment is recommended.

Hope this answers your query. I shall be available for your further queries.