Hands starts shivering when nervous and stressed. Suggest some stress reducing techniques

Hello Doctor,
I have a major problem. My hands starts shivering when i get nervous and stress. I am unable to hold even a pen also at that time. I don’t have any health problem. I showed to Neurologist doctor.

Please suggest some stress reducing techniques...

Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 17 hours later
Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your query in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
The episodes which you are talking about are called panic attacks and they are best managed by a psychiatrist. And these episodes do require treatment. Yes, stress reducing techniques are useful but you need special treatments for this illness called panic disorder and they have good response rates.
Among the therapies, cognitive behavioural therapy , a kind of talk therapy, has proven to be most useful. It involves weekly sessions of 20 in duration and will focus on the way you think during these stressful periods. If undertaken by a good psychiatrist/psychologist, they will be the best to reduce your anxiety episodes.
Other than these, medications such as paroxetine, escitalopram,citalopram, fluoxetine, miratazapine,clonazepam are all good medications.
Regarding stress management techniques:
1) Regular daily aerobic exercises.
2) Cut down on tea/coffee and completely stop alcohol if any.
3) Try meditation and yoga during evening hours.
4) Taking notes of the situation that was stressful and then focusing on what other ways you could have behaved.
5) Spending quality time with your family.
6) Doing some thing on weekends that you enjoy, be it gardening, reading books, cycling etc.
7) Listening soft music.
All these go along way in reducing stress in your life.
When you are into a panic attack, like the one that you have described, just leave that situation that has triggered the panic and when you are breathing fast , try to breath into a poly bag so that you breath in the same air that you exhale.
During panic attack or just before the start of such attack, taking propranolol also helps. You can get a prescription of this medication from your treating doctor.
Hope that helps
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.