Hands shivering when nervous and stress. Not able to hold a pen. What can be done?

Hello Doctor,
I have a major problem. My hands starts shivering when i get nervous and stress. I am unable to hold even a pen also at that time. I don�t have any health problem. I showed to Neurologist doctor.
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 17 hours later
A minor shaking and tremor of the hands and body is normally seen in all the people in the moments of nervousness and stress. However you seem to have excess of it. It falls under the anxiety disorders. I would like to get a thyroid function test, if it is not done already. Also during normal periods I would like to see for any tremors. Another thing which I would be interested is family history of similar shivering.
There are medications to take care of these tremors which you can take regularly or whenever you are likely to be in stressful situation (like before a stage-talk etc). These medications should be able to help you. Commonly used medications in case like yours are clonazepam and propranolol. Apart from medications, stress reducing techniques under the guidance of a psychologist will also be helpful.
I hope that answers your query. If there are more queries, I will be happy to answer.
good luck.