Hands hurts and noticed swelling in fingers. What could this be?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My hands hurt and my fingers have been swelling over the past two weeks. The swelling is mostly between my knuckles and my middle finger joints. I am alarmed. What could this be? Here is a picture: WWW.WWWW.WW
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 40 minutes later
have seen the picture as mentioned. The swelling you have seems to be a soft tissue swelling. This is likely to be related to inflammatory changes most likely associated with an autoimmune disorder like rheumatoid arthritis.
If there is no pain associated and the joint movements are not affected then it is likely to subside by doing a hot fomentation which will help in increasing the blood circulation thus controlling the inflammation.You can also take a mild anti inflammatory drug after consulting your physician.
In case the symptoms are persistent then consulting a rheumatologist for a specific treatment will be helpful.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Hands hurts and noticed swelling in fingers. What could this be? 19 minutes later
is it characteristic of ra for the swelling to not necessarily be directly on the joints but surrounding them like in my case?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Ra swelling normally affects the joints but the swelling on the surrounding soft tissues can also occur due to inflammation. There can be a mild variation from individual to individual.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.