Hands are numb and heavy while sleeping. On healthy diet. Cause?

My hands are getting numb and super heavy in my sleep which is causing me not to sleep well. Can you let me know what could be the cause?

I do drink milk everyday. Have a regular diet which includes carbs and proteins to an extent.

Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
vascular compression...

Detailed Answer:

The most likely cause is vascular compression. At times of sleep due to immobility and pressure, vascular supply can get compressed leading to heaviness and numbness. You may also feel pins and needle sensation along with this symptoms. This is a benign condition that needs not medical attention. Sleeping in a right posture using less hard pillow/mattress can solve the problem.

Other less likely organic causes can be calcium deficiency, thyroid hormone disturbances, blood sugar abnormalities and other metabolic causes. If you experience the symptoms everyday and throughout the night; it would be worthwhile to consult a physician and explore the aforementioned causes. Individual blood tests to look at calcium level, thyroid function and blood sugar can be done.

Hope this helps. Write back for clarification.