Hand started tremoring all of a sudden and numbness in arm. What is going on?

I am a 37 year old female. My left hand started tremoring all of a sudden a couple of days ago and has started and stopped intermittently now. Occurs in a restful state more often.
Have also felt minor spasms in all my limbs since this time too.
Tonight I experienced numbness and minor tremors in both my Arms suddenly and in my left leg. The tremors come and go but the tingly numbness in my left arm and left leg have stayed. Sometimes the tremor in my hand stops when I feel a rush of blood coming from my arm to my hand. What's happening? I feel we'll otherwise but cold and nervous. I am also starting to menstruate today for the first time after having a baby 7 months ago.
Posted Sat, 3 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 44 minutes later
Tremors of the whole body intermittently can be due to excessive alcohol intake, excessive anxiety, diabetes, renal or liver pathology, hyperthyroidism, neural problems, etc.
The exact cause can only be determined after proper clinical examination as well as some blood investigations including hormone profiles, liver and renal function tests.
Management of this problem in the first place is, if you can at all, to remove any anxiety and stress in your life. This is best done by facing up to your stressors and dealing with them.

An additional help might be to learn self-hypnosis techniques specifically designed to control and ultimately eliminate this problem.
Avoid caffeine, alcohol. Start with some multivitamin supplements and see if the tremors improve. You may need to get yourself evaluated by a physician if the problem persists.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Hand started tremoring all of a sudden and numbness in arm. What is going on? 7 hours later
I live a healthy lifestyle and pretty stress free so I wonder if this is something else.
I am continuing to feel tingly today down my left arm and left leg and tingly in the left side of face. Tremors still intermittent in left hand usually at rest.
Should I be going to an ER? Limbs on both sides have occasional twitches like muscle spasms.
Thank you for your suggestions.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
If the stress is ruled out then vitamin B 12 deficiency and electrolyte disturbances might be responsible for your symptoms. You can start taking methylcobalamin supplements and electrolyte XXXXXXX fluids like Garotade for relief. You can get the necessary prescription from your physician.
It does not seem to be something serious enough for an ER visit.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Hand started tremoring all of a sudden and numbness in arm. What is going on? 2 hours later
Thanks! I'll try the supplements. Just one more thought.... I've never had a pinched nerve but could something like that cause symptoms like mine?
I helped to lift a dryer up the stairs last week (I just remembered this) and at the time I remember it was hard on my arms and back, but felt ok the next day. Could I have pinched something which caused symptoms like this two days later?
Thanks again for your thoughts.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
If the symptoms are restricted to only arms and fingers then a pinched nerve at the level of cervical spine can be a possibility. You can try the supplements first.