Hand injury, knotted, bruise discoloration. Is it because of the hit or something else?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I hit my hand against the frame of my bed tucking in a sheet. A big knot with bruise coloration raised up immediately on the back of my hand. Is it just a bruise and I hit it just right to swell so big?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Hello ,
A bruise is a wound caused by blunt trauma resulting in bleeding from minor blood vessels under skin and soft tissues.
The discolouration of the bruise is due to blood pigments deposited in skin.
The swelling associated is due to the accumulation of blood or inflammatory fluid in the wound.
According to your description you seem to have a bruise due to ruptured blood vessel causing the sudden increased swelling by accumulation of blood .Since there are many blood vessels on the back of hand and they are very superficial it is possible for even minor trauma to cause a large bruise.
If the bleeding is minor then there will be not much increase in the swelling, however the pain and discolouration might persistfor few days to a couple of weeks.

If there is increased swelling , unbearable pain, apperance of new bruises nearby, or inability to move the fingers then there might be a possibility of underlying musculoskeletal injury.So you
might have to consult your doctor , get an xray and confirm the diagnosis.

As of now it seems to be a bruise and should resolve gradually on it's own or might need analgesics and antiinflammatory drugs like acetaminophen and ibuprofen for pain and swelling.