Hand injury. Bruising, swelling. X-ray shows no fracture. No improvement yet

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had trauma to my left hand it bruised pretty bad and swelled went to the doctor for x rays. No fracture was present it's been a week and I'm not improving
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Since the bony injury has been ruled out, the swelling and the pain that you have is likely to be due to a ligament injury.
The soft tissue injuries do take 3-4 weeks for the symptoms to subside if adequate rest is provided.
You need to give it some rest for a while, use hot fomentation twice a day. Avoid gripping and lifting objects altogether. Keep it in most comfortable position or use a splint/crepe bandage most of the time (including at night) for best results. Watch for worsening of symptoms like increase in pain, appearance of swelling and tingling numbness in fingers. If you get any of these, visit your physician and get a check up done followed by investigations like MRI.
Get some mild pain killers prescribed for pain relief till then.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.