Hand foot and mouth disease. Better with calpol intake. Shakes in the night. Treatment?

My son had hand foot and mouth last week. Nursery reported he was shaking but he said he was fine when they asked. He said he couldn't run to go to his rugby class and looked weak but calpol later he seemed fine! A few days later the spots came on his hands and feet and although they have now gone- he is still waking in the night with hot skin, it even looks red but he has no temp. He is not sweating but has the shakes too- any ideas?
Posted Mon, 18 Jun 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 7 hours later

If the diagnosis of Hand foot and mouth disease is confirmed, then I would consider below as best explanation for your child's symptoms.

Hand foot and mouth disease (HFMD) is caused by a virus called coxsackie virus , the infection usually lasts 2 to 3 weeks with rashes waxing and waning.Fever and chills can be seen for about 2 to 3 weeks in affected children with or without rashes.Giving Paracetamol (Calpol) will much suffice here.

Also in most viral illnesses the basic immunity is lowered .This can make body prone to opportunistic bacterial infections is throat, lungs , urinary tract etc .These infections are usually less severe but can present with symptoms like fever ,chills and inflammation in affected parts.

I suggest you to observe your sons symptoms and temperature.If there is any worsening then placing him on a antibiotic course suspecting him to have infected with bacteria is a better option.If the fever and temperature are the same or getting down then continuous dosage of Calpol twice daily for 3 days would be enough.

Please accept my answer if it was satisfying.

Wish him a speedy recovery.