Hamstring problem. Done massage. Can this be healed?

ENT Specialist
Hi this is XXXXXXX..well i have got hamstring problem couple of weeks ago say 2weeks now..but its seems bit ok..but when i start to run and just kick a ball...its starts again..i mean the pain..and the pull in muscle...
i have done rice process..and i had a light massage from massage specialist..
so i was thinking is there any tablets or something to heel this hamstring of i'm an electrician and i have to if any way u could advise me would be great as i wanna get over with thi hamstirng of mine..
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 2 hours later

I understand your concern. Painful hamstrings can occur following strenuous physical activities like sprinting, jumping or kicking. Such activities can result in tendon injuries (pull, tearing or over stretching) or muscle strains. The intensity of pain and duration of recovery depend on the severity of injury.

Adequate rest to the affected limb is very essential to fasten recovery. In addition the below measures will aid in better and faster recovery:
- Steam bath can help you for pain relief.
- Application of painkiller ointment locally on the affected region.
- Vitamins supplementation
- Maintain hydration.
You can also take some good analgesic in combination with a good anti inflammatory drug like ibuprofen 400mg twice a day for a week for synergistic effect.

Later when you land up in the pain free period you can do some hamstring strengthening exercises which will provide relief to the inner portion of your thigh.

At any point of time if the intensity of pain is not bearable or you develop any difficulties in walking, I would encourage you to consult an orthopaedic for careful examination and prescription of specific treatment.

No need to get tensed, you will be soon alright.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any further queries.

Wish you good health