Half sneezed and coughed at the same time. having trouble in swallowing. Could I ask a doctor?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I half sneezed and coughed at the same time, SNF no I'm having trouble swallowing. it's painful and I have to extra chew to get food to go down. should I see an entire or will it go away?
Posted Thu, 29 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ivan Rommstein 46 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for the query.

It seems like there was throat and vocal chord straining due to this incident. this is not uncommon and there is temporary throat oedema now which probably causes your symptoms. if I am right ,this should subside in several hours and completely pass within 1 day.
Try to eat more liquid food till then, try to stand while eating, drink warm tea and take 1 spoon of honey every hour.
If there are breathing difficulties, or trouble swallowing persists, you should visit hospital for ENT examination. Wish you good health. If you have questions, i ll be glad to help. Regards